American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

The Wire
Power Rankings
Inside the Patriot
The Road to March
By the Numbers
2006-07 Preview

Gametracker: Dartmouth 56, Army 59

23 December, 2007


1st 2nd Final
Dartmouth (5-6) 33 23 56
Army (6-5) 34 25 59
Christl Arena – West Point, NY Boxscore
Keys to the Game
Key sequence Dartmouth led 54-49 with under six minutes remaining, but a string of nine straight points by Army would change the complexion of the game dramatically. Josh Miller got inside for a bucket to make it a one-possession game, then after the Big Geen squandered three chances to augment its lead, Doug Williams got a free throw to bring the Black Nights within two. After two more wasted possessions for Dartmouth, Marcus Nelson tied teh game at 54 all with a layup at the 2:11 mark. Michael Giovacchini missed three-pointer on the Big Green’s next two possessions, and DeVon Mosley fouled Nelson, who was perfect at the line to give Army the lead with just under a minute remaining. John Ball’s potential game-tying shot was off the mark, and Miller controlled the rebound, was fouled, and hit both free throws to give the hosts a two-possession advantage with just 38 ticks left.
Key sign it was over After an offensive rebound, Alex Barnett got Dartmouth back within two with 24 seconds on the clock. The Big Green caught a break when Jarell Brown could get only one of two free throws at the other end with 15 seconds to play, but Giovacchini’s attempt to tie the game from beyond the arc wouldn’t fall. Ball got the rebound and took a desperation three of his own that missed. Dartmouth got the ball back out of bounds with 1.4 seconds left, but had trouble getting a good look, settling for a prayer from 30 feet at the buzzer that went unanswered.
Key performance Williams led Army with 15 points on ultra-efficient 7-for-8 shooting, and also chipped in on the glass with five rebounds — three at the offensive end — in 31 turnover-free minutes.
Key statistic The Black Knights made things tough on the Big Green inside the three-point arc, holding the visitors to 12-for-28 (42.9 percent) on two-point attempts, while knocking down half of theirs at 20 of 40. Army’s edge was particularly big in the paint, where it enjoyed a monster 38-18 advantage.

– Barnett was the game’s top scorer with 20 points, shooting 7 of 14 from the field and an encouraging 4 of 6 from three. Ball came off the bench for Dartmouth to add 13 points, eight rebounds, two blocks, and a pair of steals in 33 minutes.

– Brown was held in check, attempting just nine shots on the afternoon and finishing with 10 points, though he did grab nine rebounds as well.

– Dartmouth shot the three-pointer well in the first half, knocking down 5 of 9 (55.6 percent), but went cold after halftime, connecting on just 1 of 11 (9.1 percent) after halftime. Mosley and Giovacchini bore much of the blame for that, combining to miss all six of their attempts from distance.

– The Big Green forced 19 turnovers while committing 14, but didn’t hold too big of an edge in points off turnovers at 21-15.

– The game was Army’s final of 2007, and the Black Knights will face another Ivy League foe when they travel to Brown on Wednesday, January 2, at 7:00 pm ET.

Leave a Reply